Friday, January 16, 2009

How To Drill Beach Glass






For the longest time, I resisted the urge to drill through beach glass. I'd like to say that it was because I couldn't stand the thought of defacing the frosty gloriousness of the pieces, but that's simply not the case.

I didn't have a good enough drill. Pretty lame, I know.
But recently, my older brother enlisted in the army, and he had to pretty much get rid of everything, including his drill, so it's mine now.

Aaaah, silly me, thinking I was just going to start drilling through hunks of glass with ease. Now, I had done enough research to know that I needed diamond tip drill bits, which I bought, and that the glass needed to be submersed in water. What I didnt know, was that as soon as I touched my drill to the glass, it would "skip" across the surface, leaving unsightly white scratches, rendering the glass useless for jewelry making.

Them my dear hubby came in and as usual, pointed out what I was doing wrong, and more importantly, how to do it right.

(1) Start at a 45 degree angle

(2) Use slight pressure and slow rpm's to start with

(3) Hold the glass steady with your forefinger of your non-drilling hand, while using your thumb on the same hand to "guide" the drill shaft. This keep it in place without having the bit skip all over the glass. It's important to note that I kept my thumb far enough up the shaft so that it wouldn't come near the diamond tip.

(4) Once you feel the drill bit "catch" the glass (you will feel it), you can move your thumb, and straightenthe drill bit out so that you drill straight through.

(5) Stop every ten seconds or so to allow water to cool the bit and the hole

Okay, a few last tips: Once you get going, maintain a steady, moderate, pressure. You don't need to push super hard. Also, for smaller pieces, you'll probably want a smaller diameter bit, and vice versa for larger pieces. The smaller pieces tend to break when using larger bits, unless you drill them in the center.

Hope this helps. It certainly helped me. I'd be happy to answer any questions if anyone has them.
The pics I've posted are of my first scratched up piece, and my subsequently better pieces that I managed to not break. They still look like they could use some perfecting, but that's what practice is for, right?

No comments: