Saturday, January 10, 2009

How To Unblock Your Creativity


Ever get "crafter's block"? It's the crafter's equivalent to writer's block, and I had a very bad case not too long ago. I went 2 whole weeks without so much as looking at my materials. But I eventually managed to overcome it.

Since I suspect that I'm not the only one who gets creatively stumped every once in a while, I thought I'd share my tips and tricks for getting "un-stumped".

When you have crafter's block, sometimes you just need to walk away for a little while. I know that writer's are supposed to sit and write when they are blocked, and there have been times, when forcing myself to create has worked, but not always. I think the key is walking away, but walking away to somewhere that's related, somehow, to what you do.

Some ideas:
(1) Go to your favorite craft store. You can do this online, but it's really much better to visit in person, because not only will you be getting some excercise, being able to touch things, feel their textures and weight, and see their true colors can be all you need to inspire creativity.

(2) Go to a book store, or even the library. Check out books on your craft or even explore completely new arts. Sometimes, when you are considering something new, the possibilities seem endless. You'll get all sorts of ideas for your "new" craft. This spark of creativity can carry over to your current projects, and you may even find a way to "marry" the two techniques or crafts into one new craft. Talk about possibilities!

(3) If all else fails, go to your nearest big box store, and browse whatever section your stuff would be in, if you were to mass-produce. Scoff, shake your head in disgust, and comment to others who are standing nearby about the lack of quality, care and thought put into the items, and the overall cheapness of them. After they run away from you, clutching their children tightly, give the items one last glance, pat yourself on the shoulder, and go home to do better.
I hope this helps anyone who may be "stuck" These methods work great for me. I'd love to hear from others as well. How do you get over creativity hurdles?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool blog, Nice Jewelry on Etsy.
Have to put you on my next Treasury! Thanks for commenting on my forum on indiepublic.

Sophie B. said...

Nice blog,Thanks for your comment on my blog. I like your tips,visiting books store works for me. I also file pictures and articles of things that inspires me so going thru them sparkles my creativity.

HomeBirdJen said...

Hi there, great tips. I sometimes find that going for a walk-away from all the creativity-will give me the best inspiration. Sometimes ideas can just creep up on you! I also love visiting bookstores to gather ideas :)